Located at the top of Ijen, Ijen Crater is an acidic crater lake with an altitude of up to 2444 meters above sea level. The depth of the lake in Ijen Crater ranges between 200 meters with a hole area reaching 5,466 hectares. Ijen crater lake is also known as the largest acid water lake in the world.
Ijen national park located in the area of Bondowoso Regency and Banyuwangi Regency, East Java. Ijen Crater has a blue fire that can be found in the early hours of 02.00 to 05.00. The sight of blue fire can only be found in two places in the world, blue fire only located in Ijen crater and Dallol volcano.
Tourists can enjoy landscape blue-fire in Ijen, along the track to top; we can watch the sulfur mining, the miners carrying sulfur chunks with trolley & took baskets. They can carry a load of 80 – 100 Kg manually. The miners will take sulfur from the crater lip, bring to the top and move to be brought down to the shelter.
To reach Ijen crater, tourist can start tracking from Paltuding with approximately distance 3Km. Paltuding is rest point and entrance to Ijen crater. There are a forest protection and conservation center of perhutani. In this place you can get information about Ijen crater, homestay facilities in Paltuding areas until save or not to entrance the Ijen crater. In Paltuding provided camping ground for who want to set up a tent.
How to go Ijen crater???
The journey can get through two line, from Bondowoso Regency and Banyuwangi regency. But as a suggestion from us, you should better from Banyuwangi because it’s a small access to Paltuding, Banyuwangi regency has advantages from Bondowoso because tourist can reach Banyuwangi using the ferry from Bali, Banyuwangi has Blimbingsari Airport and train station.
The path that must be pass from Banyuwangi to Ijen is
Banyuwangi – Licin – Jambu – Paltuding – Ijen Crater
Travel tips to Ijen crater:
- Bring a thick jacket and head cover because temperature on top of Ijen reaches five until 2 degrees Celcius
- Make tracks to the top with a fit body condition and do enough preparation because you are hunting at night.
- Don’t forget to bring a mask or nose cover because to get blue fire you will pass caldera, and mask use prevent sulfur smoke
- Bring raincoats while climbing in the rainy season
- To go Ijen crater during rain season, it’s recommended to use offroad vehicles especially type jeep double axle because road condition from Jambu to Paltuding have massive road condition.
For those of you who want to plan a traveling from Banyuwangi to Ijen crater, we already help you to discuss and arrange your travel plan. And we provide tour package or transportation package to Ijen crater. We are offering tour one night at Ijen for min 2 person every day. This offering can you see on the following page:
The package cheaper if you are making your trip with five people.